Saturday, January 14, 2012

Brittany holiday cottage with private heated pool

With in half an hour of the Brittany holiday cottage with private heated pool is the Bar de Etel one of my favorite fishing locations.

My fishing buddy contacted me last week to ask if I wanted a fishing day down at Etel Tuesday just gone, the weather conditions were perfect with a coefficient of 88.

Low tide was at 11.30 am and the following high tide at 17.35 and we decided to start fishing at 10am and fish both aspects of the tide finishing at 19.00.

I popped too the Vannes decathlon which is only 25 minutes from La Forge and La Veille Maison first thing in the morning to see if they had any rag worm in stock. They had about 10 boxes but on inspection the boxes were all filled with manky looking worms that all appeared dead, one box was almost empty. Its so important to inspect the boxes before taking them away.

It was worth a try getting the worms as I always feel more confident when worms are on the hook, but my mate was popping down a local fish mongers to pick up some fresh mackerel.

When I arrived at Etel he announced he had also managed to get some live shrimp and some squid and had talked to the fish monger to find out that the locals were catching Pollock and the odd Bass.

With a view of getting into a turbot I decided to fish the final flow of the tide on its way out close in with the Mackerel. With no bites for either of us for the next 2 hours, the tide had turned and was now on its way in, I decided to switch tactics and try the live shrimp hooked just through the tails to keep them alive.

I had 2 bites in concession that looked like your typical flatfish bite but on retrieval the shrimp heads had been taken and the bodies remained. My mate switched to the shrimp also, casting out into the fast water and after 30 minutes had a stonking bite and brought in a 3 lb Wrasse.

Spirits improved after the catch and we concentrated on the shrimp only for it to go very quite again and we ended up finishing at 19.00 with just the one fish.

On the whole even though I did not catch I really enjoyed the day, the sun was out and I had to take some of my layers off as I got to warm in the afternoon.

Our next fishing trip will be in March.

There is always a beach rod available for guest staying in La Forge or La Veille Maison for those wishing to have a few hours fishing on the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment